Why so late on district assignments?
08/26/2019 3:43:57 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
There must be a reason for the cross country district assignments being released so late. Does anyone have a guess at what that reason is?
There must be a reason for the cross country district assignments being released so late. Does anyone have a guess at what that reason is?
08/27/2019 7:50:27 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@palmtree This was a plan from higher up to alleviate the issue of schools being "misclassified" due to teams not fielding a program even after signing up for one. MSHSAA hopes by doing this, there will be a clearer line of who will be in what class and avoid further issues. @Hays can clarify if I misspoke on anything.
@palmtree This was a plan from higher up to alleviate the issue of schools being "misclassified" due to teams not fielding a program even after signing up for one. MSHSAA hopes by doing this, there will be a clearer line of who will be in what class and avoid further issues.

@Hays can clarify if I misspoke on anything.
08/27/2019 11:16:29 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Well I must say that I agree with the effort. Hopefully it will work. Thanks for the insight.
Well I must say that I agree with the effort. Hopefully it will work.
Thanks for the insight.
08/28/2019 8:23:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachterry Is the governing body that will be determining classes looking at programs that field a "team" or will classifications be based on whether or not the school has at least one active participant on the roster? My school has been Class 3 and will likely remain in class 3. However, our girls numbers the past two years has been somewhat depressing. Last season we did not run a team at the district race because one girl out of five on my roster was not able to attend due to conflict. This season may be unfortunately similar.
@coachterry

Is the governing body that will be determining classes looking at programs that field a "team" or will classifications be based on whether or not the school has at least one active participant on the roster?

My school has been Class 3 and will likely remain in class 3. However, our girls numbers the past two years has been somewhat depressing. Last season we did not run a team at the district race because one girl out of five on my roster was not able to attend due to conflict. This season may be unfortunately similar.
08/28/2019 8:53:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@PHillXC I think there will never be a way to classify based on roster numbers. This is completely supposed to remove teams who fail to post any kind of team prior to the date.
@PHillXC I think there will never be a way to classify based on roster numbers. This is completely supposed to remove teams who fail to post any kind of team prior to the date.
08/28/2019 9:08:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachterry So would my girl's team be in jeopardy of not being classified in a district if we don't post a full team result by a given date? I have eight girls on my roster but likely will not run them as a complete team until halfway through the season (two are varsity caliber, three are injured, and three of them still struggle to even complete the 5k distance). I could understand not wanting to include a team of that caliber in the district race but at the same tine I believe that those athletes should deserve the opportunity to compete if they are willing to put it the work.
@coachterry

So would my girl's team be in jeopardy of not being classified in a district if we don't post a full team result by a given date?

I have eight girls on my roster but likely will not run them as a complete team until halfway through the season (two are varsity caliber, three are injured, and three of them still struggle to even complete the 5k distance).

I could understand not wanting to include a team of that caliber in the district race but at the same tine I believe that those athletes should deserve the opportunity to compete if they are willing to put it the work.
08/29/2019 1:50:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Pretty sure if you run any runner at all in a meet in the first couple of weeks they do not drop your school, it is to eliminate schools who say they’ll have runners and do not run anyone at all season long. I’m sure I’ll be corrected quickly if I am incorrect in my analysis
Pretty sure if you run any runner at all in a meet in the first couple of weeks they do not drop your school, it is to eliminate schools who say they'll have runners and do not run anyone at all season long. I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly if I am incorrect in my analysis
08/29/2019 5:28:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@GVEaglesXC correct. One runner is a team as much as 56 runners is a team. Sorry if I was unclear before.
@GVEaglesXC correct. One runner is a team as much as 56 runners is a team.

Sorry if I was unclear before.
08/29/2019 12:29:42 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
This is a cut and paste from my comment last December. I still think it makes the most sense. (I think it is strange that so much importance is given to schools that may or may not field a team. This is just a guess, but I would think than none of the schools that dropped their program would have made a difference in the outcome of the state series. I suppose possibly the class 1 schools (since sometimes all they need to do is have a complete team to make it to state). What I do know is that having them included in the numbers made a significant difference in the outcome of the state series. So why all the hoopla about whether school A or school B will have a team this year. It seems that the best plan is to go by the previous year's numbers. That way everyone would know their class and district earlier and who cares if there are a few extra teams in a given district the next year. Those extra teams are not likely to rock the boat too much if they didn't even have a program the year before.)
This is a cut and paste from my comment last December. I still think it makes the most sense.

(I think it is strange that so much importance is given to schools that may or may not field a team. This is just a guess, but I would think than none of the schools that dropped their program would have made a difference in the outcome of the state series. I suppose possibly the class 1 schools (since sometimes all they need to do is have a complete team to make it to state). What I do know is that having them included in the numbers made a significant difference in the outcome of the state series.

So why all the hoopla about whether school A or school B will have a team this year. It seems that the best plan is to go by the previous year's numbers. That way everyone would know their class and district earlier and who cares if there are a few extra teams in a given district the next year. Those extra teams are not likely to rock the boat too much if they didn't even have a program the year before.)
08/29/2019 1:06:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I understand why there is uncertainty within the smaller classifications and the trouble with figuring out who will be fielding a team, however, I still think it is ridiculous for us to not know our district and sectional before the season starts. Other sports already know theirs, so we could and should make this happen. Especially in a sport like cross country where the courses you run makes a difference. If possible many teams would like to be able to run on the courses they will see for qualifying during the regular season. We all have our schedules made months before the season-MSHSAA should do the same. I'm okay with their being some disparities in numbers across districts to make this happen. Or better yet, let's change the qualifying system badly in need of it.
I understand why there is uncertainty within the smaller classifications and the trouble with figuring out who will be fielding a team, however, I still think it is ridiculous for us to not know our district and sectional before the season starts. Other sports already know theirs, so we could and should make this happen. Especially in a sport like cross country where the courses you run makes a difference. If possible many teams would like to be able to run on the courses they will see for qualifying during the regular season. We all have our schedules made months before the season-MSHSAA should do the same. I'm okay with their being some disparities in numbers across districts to make this happen. Or better yet, let's change the qualifying system badly in need of it.
08/29/2019 8:20:33 PM
Power User
@palmtree another issue is schools that have xc with less than five eligible kids. Shouldn't count as a team to impact district set ups. Athletes can compete but let's not make them a team to factor in the district and sectional division of teams. This way we can insure competitive balance.
@palmtree another issue is schools that have xc with less than five eligible kids. Shouldn't count as a team to impact district set ups. Athletes can compete but let's not make them a team to factor in the district and sectional division of teams. This way we can insure competitive balance.
08/29/2019 9:26:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
With next year's change in class structures based on enrollment, this is all mute after this fall. My projection is that CC will closley mimic what is now being done in TF.
With next year's change in class structures based on enrollment, this is all mute after this fall. My projection is that CC will closley mimic what is now being done in TF.
08/29/2019 9:44:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Dean, Can you elaborate for the panel what is being done with track?
Dean, Can you elaborate for the panel what is being done with track?
08/29/2019 11:14:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@szoughaib Track should stay the same, roughly. Remember the 1.35 factor will not exist.
@szoughaib
Track should stay the same, roughly. Remember the 1.35 factor will not exist.
08/30/2019 5:21:16 PM
Coach
Does anyone know how this point system will work? That is what will be used instead of the multiplier right?
Does anyone know how this point system will work? That is what will be used instead of the multiplier right?
08/30/2019 5:23:58 PM
Coach
Also, Dean, or anyone, could you explain the Class restructuring for next season?how different will it be from what we have now?
Also, Dean, or anyone, could you explain the Class restructuring for next season?how different will it be from what we have now?
08/30/2019 5:28:51 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@xcNBtf Track and XC will still be using the multiplier and will not be using the point system.
@xcNBtf Track and XC will still be using the multiplier and will not be using the point system.
08/30/2019 6:20:58 PM
Coach
@R-Taylor gotcha. Thanks!
@R-Taylor gotcha. Thanks!
08/30/2019 8:18:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
No changes this school year. I do not think the point system has been finalized yet for next school year but the multiplier will be out and the point system will be in effect. As I stated earlier, look to CC to go to 5 classes and closely mimic the TF class structure which will stay at 5 classes. Would not bet the farm on this, but would be willing to put up the back 40.
No changes this school year. I do not think the point system has been finalized yet for next school year but the multiplier will be out and the point system will be in effect. As I stated earlier, look to CC to go to 5 classes and closely mimic the TF class structure which will stay at 5 classes.
Would not bet the farm on this, but would be willing to put up the back 40.
08/30/2019 9:13:41 PM
Coach
@R-Taylor according to Dean we are using the point system next season?
@R-Taylor according to Dean we are using the point system next season?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.