Radical Classification Proposal
02/04/2019 10:12:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There is a possible proposal being discussed that in a sense will penalize teams for continued success. It will score teams points based upon success in post-season meets over a 3 year period. Once you hit a certain number, you get bumped up a class. You would never however be dropped to a class lower than your enrollment would allow. For example, Festus would be bumped to Class 4 based upon their past 3 seasons. In the event we went to 5 classes and in the event they had great success in Class 4, they would then get bumped to class 5. If they didn't perform well in Class 5 that next year, they could possibly drop back to Class 4 depending on how many points they accumulated over their past 3 years. Thoughts?
There is a possible proposal being discussed that in a sense will penalize teams for continued success. It will score teams points based upon success in post-season meets over a 3 year period. Once you hit a certain number, you get bumped up a class. You would never however be dropped to a class lower than your enrollment would allow. For example, Festus would be bumped to Class 4 based upon their past 3 seasons. In the event we went to 5 classes and in the event they had great success in Class 4, they would then get bumped to class 5. If they didn't perform well in Class 5 that next year, they could possibly drop back to Class 4 depending on how many points they accumulated over their past 3 years.
Thoughts?
02/05/2019 5:42:47 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There are far better ways to improve the current system. I don't see the virtue in this proposal. I think a better way to improve our state meet would be to implement a system that insures that the state's top performers advance to the state meet (standards) and once those athletes advance to state they have the chance to perform at their best (fix the event schedule).
There are far better ways to improve the current system. I don't see the virtue in this proposal. I think a better way to improve our state meet would be to implement a system that insures that the state's top performers advance to the state meet (standards) and once those athletes advance to state they have the chance to perform at their best (fix the event schedule).
02/05/2019 7:57:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think this proposal is pointed toward football and Private Schools, but would affect all activities. Disclaimer: this is not my proposal.
I think this proposal is pointed toward football and Private Schools, but would affect all activities.

Disclaimer: this is not my proposal.
02/05/2019 8:49:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
My understanding is that it would affect ONLY private/parochial schools and that the original proposal was a six-year total. Otherwise, the proposal I've heard about is like that above.
My understanding is that it would affect ONLY private/parochial schools and that the original proposal was a six-year total. Otherwise, the proposal I've heard about is like that above.
02/05/2019 9:15:17 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It is aimed at Private schools across all activities. Points would be awarded across State Series events and there is a potential for both the boys and the girls teams to compete separately from one another. St. Vincent boys would likely move to Class 3. St. Vincent girls would stay at Class 2. Logistically, there would be staffing issues unless the push to have Class 1, 2, & 3 Districts in a single location moves forward.
It is aimed at Private schools across all activities. Points would be awarded across State Series events and there is a potential for both the boys and the girls teams to compete separately from one another.

St. Vincent boys would likely move to Class 3. St. Vincent girls would stay at Class 2. Logistically, there would be staffing issues unless the push to have Class 1, 2, & 3 Districts in a single location moves forward.
02/05/2019 10:03:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[url=http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-4000324031846785879/ohsaas-competitive-balance-referendum-the-latest-round-in-a-national-fight-between-public-and-private-schools/][url=http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-4000324031846785879/ohsaas-competitive-balance-referendum-the-latest-round-in-a-national-fight-between-public-and-private-schools/]http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-4000324031846785879/ohsaas-competitive-balance-referendum-the-latest-round-in-a-national-fight-between-public-and-private-schools/[/url][/url] I guess this isn't just a Missouri conversation. After some decidedly unscientific research I discovered that Missouri has the 8th most private schools in the country (this includes all levels). I understand a X2 multiplier for single gender schools, but beyond that I think beyond that we should either completely accept private schools and treat them the same as other schools, or have a separate state championship. Anything in-between sends a very mixed message that only ends out upsetting people.
02/05/2019 1:01:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Curious. Most as in number of schools or percentage of schools? Since Missouri treats charter schools the same as private, does it also include them?
Curious. Most as in number of schools or percentage of schools? Since Missouri treats charter schools the same as private, does it also include them?
02/06/2019 9:59:57 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Based on the proposal, Valle Catholic will be all over the map. Boys Baseball who won 4 of the last 5 state titles could be a class 4. Football could be a class 3. Basketball, Softball and wrestling will stay where the are. Volley with top 4 finishes in the last 4 years and winner of district this year could get bumped to 2 or 3. Girls Cross will get bumped a class where as the boys stay put. Boys track possibly move up but the girls stay back. I agree with Coach Terry as far as staffing. I am the only coach for boys and girls cross if we don't end up at the same sight NOW WHAT?
Based on the proposal, Valle Catholic will be all over the map. Boys Baseball who won 4 of the last 5 state titles could be a class 4. Football could be a class 3. Basketball, Softball and wrestling will stay where the are. Volley with top 4 finishes in the last 4 years and winner of district this year could get bumped to 2 or 3. Girls Cross will get bumped a class where as the boys stay put. Boys track possibly move up but the girls stay back. I agree with Coach Terry as far as staffing. I am the only coach for boys and girls cross if we don't end up at the same sight NOW WHAT?
02/06/2019 1:15:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I believe it was based upon total schools, so SLUH would count as one and the Catholic grade school in High Ridge with 10 to 15 children count as one as well. I'm not sure about the charter schools.
I believe it was based upon total schools, so SLUH would count as one and the Catholic grade school in High Ridge with 10 to 15 children count as one as well. I'm not sure about the charter schools.
02/06/2019 1:31:15 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=zoughaibs] I agree with Coach Terry as far as staffing. I am the only coach for boys and girls cross if we don't end up at the same sight NOW WHAT? [/quote] This is the exact reason this shouldn't happen. It's not fair to the kids or the coach who has to choose which District/Sectional meet to go to.
zoughaibs wrote:
I agree with Coach Terry as far as staffing. I am the only coach for boys and girls cross if we don't end up at the same sight NOW WHAT?

This is the exact reason this shouldn't happen. It's not fair to the kids or the coach who has to choose which District/Sectional meet to go to.
02/06/2019 2:23:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Hays, any wisdom you like to share?
Hays, any wisdom you like to share?
02/07/2019 11:44:20 PM
Power User
It is a poor proposal. It is true about our number of private schools. In fact at one point (might even be the case now) St. Louis was number to for metro area private schools behind Boston. There are a lot of shenanigans going on with recruiting and this is not just at the private school level.
It is a poor proposal. It is true about our number of private schools. In fact at one point (might even be the case now) St. Louis was number to for metro area private schools behind Boston. There are a lot of shenanigans going on with recruiting and this is not just at the private school level.
02/08/2019 5:16:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Most of the proposals sound like they were done by a committee of a small group of people with/after a case of beer. Who knows what will appear on the ballot this spring.
Most of the proposals sound like they were done by a committee of a small group of people with/after a case of beer. Who knows what will appear on the ballot this spring.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.