High school sports are 360 degrees in nature- a full circle. Most long-distance runners will begin their quest during the early months of summer training for cross country.
The three months of training that kids put in are an attempt to run in the state championship in November. For the few lucky ones, they will go on and compete in Nike Cross Nationals, Foot Locker, or some other post-season meet.
But what has been lost in the sauce is the entire school calendar which runs through the winter indoor campaign and finally back to the all-important outdoor track and field season.
We wanted to chronicle the very beginning and end. Obviously, some athletes get lazy after cross country or get hurt. Others may play other sports in the spring: lacrosse, club soccer, baseball, volleyball, etc.
(Disclaimer: state championship races typically are 800, 1600, 3200, and 4x800 are 12 field entries) If you have any questions or comments, email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Gavin Genisio (Jr., Benton)14:57.51- competed in 2A; 1600 state champion (4:08.68); 800 (1:54.17); 3200 (9:09.42i)
2. Isaac Teel (Jr., Pinckneyville) 15:04.59- did not compete in the state series; 800 (1:57.96); 1600 (4:21.44); 3200 (9:24.25 PB)
3. Tommy Murray (Sr., Port Byron [Riverdale]) 15:05.55- 3200 state champ (9:14.77); 1600 state champ, 4:16.02; 800 (1:56.15 PB)
4. Akili Parekh (Sr., Chicago [Latin]) 15:11.75- 3200 state runner up, 9:13.94 PB; 3rd place/1600, 4:19.62 PB
5. Daniel Winkelman (Sr., Elgin [Harvest Christian Academy]) 15:20.28- ran anchor on winning 4x800 relay; 7th pl/1600, 4:15.97 PB; 6th pl/800, 1:54.57 PB
6. Ethan Hogan (Jr., Columbia) 15:29.44- competed in 2A; 3200 state champ, 8:49.61 PB; 1600 state runner up, 4:06.62 PB; 800 (1:55.71 PB)
7. Mac Kittrell (Jr., Chicago (DePaul College Prep) 15:38.63- competed in 2A; 3rd pl/3200, 9:17.95 PB; 10th pl/1600, 4:21.35 PB
8. Bryson Grant (Sr., Gilman (Iroquois West) 15:42.84- 4th pl/1600 (4:22.68 PB)
9. Gabriel McLain (So., Benton) 15:46.15- competed in 2A; 8th pl/1600 (4:22.69 PB)
10. Logan Beckmier (Sr., Arthur-Lovington-Atwood-Hammond) 15:48.08- 5th pl/3200, 9:27.91 PB; 14th pl prelim/1600, 4:26.94 PB
11. Landis Musser (Sr., Port Byron-Riverdale) 15:49.40- 10th pl/1600, 4:25.68 PB
12. Jackson Barrett (Jr., Tuscola) 15:49.58- 3rd pl/3200, 9:15.85 PB; 8th pl/1600
13. Aidan Sosnowski (Sr., Rockford (Christian) 15:59.83- 9th pl/800, 1:57.88 PB
14. Bryan Malkowski (Jr., Chicago [DePaul College Prep]) 16:00.64- competed in 2A; 32nd/3200
15. Cole Buchanan (So., Benton) 16:01.10- competed in 2A; did not advance to state; 800 (2:01.49 PB)
16. Benjamin Gibson (So., Chicago [Latin]) 16:01.63- 20th pl prelims/1600 (4:34.09)
17. Josiah Hortin (Jr., Tuscola) 16:02.38- 3rd pl/800 (1:54.89 PB); 6th pl/1600 (4:25.80); 3200 (9:15.17 PB)
18. Evan Cook (So., Decatur [St. Teresa]) 16:02.69- 25th pl/3200
19. Patrick Hilby (Jr., Aurora [Central Catholic]) 16:03.39- competed in 2A; 800 state champion, 1:48.81 PB; 1600 (4:18.84 PB)
20. Mitchell Hayes (Jr., Normal [University]) 16:03.45- competed in 2A; did not advance to state in any events
20. Peyton Sand (Sr., Port Byron (Riverdale) 16:03.45- 14th pl/3200
22. Caleb Kernaghan (Sr., Decatur (St. Teresa) 16:03.55- 14th pl prelims/800, 1:56.02; ran on 3rd pl 4x800
23. Landen Alcorn (Jr., Normal (University) 16:05.45- competed in 2A; ran on state prelim 4x800; ran on state prelim 4x400
24. Charlie Bardwell (Sr., Eureka) 16:07.12- 12th pl/800, 1:54.81 PB; ran on state runner up 4x800
25. Weston Forward (Jr., Rockford (Christian) 16:10.42- 4th pl/3200 (9:25.70 PB); 19th pl prelims/1600