Article Comment: Mid-Season Review
10/06/2014 8:17:41 PM
User
Nice work! I agree Kingfisher is one to watch in 5A. I don't see anyone beating Coston at state unless he has a bad day like Albright last year. Even then, I'm not sure anyone is close enough to him to capitalize. 5A boys team race has the potential to be one for the ages. I'm not sure the 2A boys race will be as competitive as you predict. Currently, it looks like it would take a bad day from Episcopal or a good day from Newman for Newman to put more than one runner inside of Episcopal's top 5. Newman would probably also have one or two of their scoring runners displaced by Episcopal's sixth and seventh. What happened to the pre-season talk about Sacred Heart shooting for a perfect score at state? Anyone with a brain could look at last year's results and see that was not happening. Kind of strange to put that out publicly as a goal. I don't remember Ascension, Choudrant, Episcopal, etc. publicizing that sort of thing when they actually had legitimate shots.
Nice work!

I agree Kingfisher is one to watch in 5A. I don't see anyone beating Coston at state unless he has a bad day like Albright last year. Even then, I'm not sure anyone is close enough to him to capitalize.

5A boys team race has the potential to be one for the ages.

I'm not sure the 2A boys race will be as competitive as you predict. Currently, it looks like it would take a bad day from Episcopal or a good day from Newman for Newman to put more than one runner inside of Episcopal's top 5. Newman would probably also have one or two of their scoring runners displaced by Episcopal's sixth and seventh.

What happened to the pre-season talk about Sacred Heart shooting for a perfect score at state? Anyone with a brain could look at last year's results and see that was not happening. Kind of strange to put that out publicly as a goal. I don't remember Ascension, Choudrant, Episcopal, etc. publicizing that sort of thing when they actually had legitimate shots.
10/06/2014 10:09:03 PM
Coach
Alexa Breaux has been out with a stress fracture in her foot. It has healed, but she is slowly working her way back to the course. We are hoping to have her back running competitively by early November.
Alexa Breaux has been out with a stress fracture in her foot. It has healed, but she is slowly working her way back to the course. We are hoping to have her back running competitively by early November.
10/06/2014 10:33:15 PM
User
I am interested in some of these schools using junior high athletes in varsity competition (Sacred Heart, McGehee, Lusher, Episcopal, University, Menard, et al). I know the LHSAA passed legislation stipulating that if a school uses junior high athletes those grades must be counted toward enrollment for classification purposes (which I think is a surprisingly rational decision from the LHSAA). But I also heard that if a junior high athlete competed at the varsity level last year, they would be grandfathered in with no implications on enrollment figures. Can any coaches or administrators on the ground offer some clarity on this matter? Or is this going to be another instance of tomfoolery from the LHSAA where they wait until the last minute and tell some schools, "Oh, hey. Your enrollment numbers are actually 120 students more than you were anticipating. Sorry for the confusion!" Or are these schools just operating under the assumption that the LHSAA as we know it will not be around next year so they (the schools) can act as they please?
I am interested in some of these schools using junior high athletes in varsity competition (Sacred Heart, McGehee, Lusher, Episcopal, University, Menard, et al). I know the LHSAA passed legislation stipulating that if a school uses junior high athletes those grades must be counted toward enrollment for classification purposes (which I think is a surprisingly rational decision from the LHSAA). But I also heard that if a junior high athlete competed at the varsity level last year, they would be grandfathered in with no implications on enrollment figures. Can any coaches or administrators on the ground offer some clarity on this matter? Or is this going to be another instance of tomfoolery from the LHSAA where they wait until the last minute and tell some schools, "Oh, hey. Your enrollment numbers are actually 120 students more than you were anticipating. Sorry for the confusion!" Or are these schools just operating under the assumption that the LHSAA as we know it will not be around next year so they (the schools) can act as they please?
10/06/2014 11:16:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@thespecs From what I understand the situation is that if any JH athlete is used, they count towards the enrollment, but only the eligible athletes, not the whole 7th and 8th grades. As far as the LHSAA splitting, as fun as that would be, too many teams are getting what they want (an easy path to the state title) in most sports so I think people will settle for the new arrangement. Also, I wrote the article a couple hours before I saw the SJA results. Looks like EHS has pulled away from the rest and shouldn't be challenged at state. Also, looks as though ULab girls might be the current best team in 3A until SH runs their full 7. SH still has the inside track I believe, but a lot of girls are coming on strong in 3A and as mentioned in the article, rivals 5A in difficulty to place at state (when you factor in enrollment).
@thespecs

From what I understand the situation is that if any JH athlete is used, they count towards the enrollment, but only the eligible athletes, not the whole 7th and 8th grades. As far as the LHSAA splitting, as fun as that would be, too many teams are getting what they want (an easy path to the state title) in most sports so I think people will settle for the new arrangement.

Also, I wrote the article a couple hours before I saw the SJA results. Looks like EHS has pulled away from the rest and shouldn't be challenged at state. Also, looks as though ULab girls might be the current best team in 3A until SH runs their full 7. SH still has the inside track I believe, but a lot of girls are coming on strong in 3A and as mentioned in the article, rivals 5A in difficulty to place at state (when you factor in enrollment).
10/08/2014 1:04:52 PM
User
My AD explained it this way: Each school is allotted a certain number of middle schoolers they are allowed to pull up to compete on varsity teams. My AD decided to divide it evenly giving each team 3. I don't know of the number depends on class size or not and I aslo don't know if it matters if it's an all boys or all girls school. For example, an all girl/boy school (like Sacred Heart or McGehee) would have less sports and therefore could bring up more middle schoolers per team. In a sport like cross country where the younger the better, especially for girls, it isn't fair for other schools to get more especially when they already have more to pull from being an all boy or girl school with the same amount of enrollment. For example, UHigh has 500 students in the high school boys and girls. I assume Sacred Heart and McGehee also have 500 students, but they are all girls. Then they get to pull up more middle schoolers than a UHigh school. I don't know if this is how it all works, but this is how it seems to me.
My AD explained it this way: Each school is allotted a certain number of middle schoolers they are allowed to pull up to compete on varsity teams. My AD decided to divide it evenly giving each team 3. I don't know of the number depends on class size or not and I aslo don't know if it matters if it's an all boys or all girls school.

For example, an all girl/boy school (like Sacred Heart or McGehee) would have less sports and therefore could bring up more middle schoolers per team. In a sport like cross country where the younger the better, especially for girls, it isn't fair for other schools to get more especially when they already have more to pull from being an all boy or girl school with the same amount of enrollment.

For example, UHigh has 500 students in the high school boys and girls. I assume Sacred Heart and McGehee also have 500 students, but they are all girls. Then they get to pull up more middle schoolers than a UHigh school.

I don't know if this is how it all works, but this is how it seems to me.
10/08/2014 1:20:05 PM
User
Also, it looks like McGehee might be the second best team in girls 3A, but it will be quite the fight between them, UHigh, Lusher, and Curtis for that second place trophy.
Also, it looks like McGehee might be the second best team in girls 3A, but it will be quite the fight between them, UHigh, Lusher, and Curtis for that second place trophy.
10/08/2014 1:44:37 PM
User
[quote=cubscoach] For example, UHigh has 500 students in the high school boys and girls. I assume Sacred Heart and McGehee also have 500 students, but they are all girls. Then they get to pull up more middle schoolers than a UHigh school. I don't know if this is how it all works, but this is how it seems to me.[/quote] @cubscoach For the last round of reclassification Sacred Heart had ~200 students grades 9-12 and McGehee had ~140 students grades 9-12. Those numbers are doubled for classification purposes. McGehee elected to compete up in 3A and Sacred Heart may have--they were right on the borderline of being classified as 3A.
cubscoach wrote:

For example, UHigh has 500 students in the high school boys and girls. I assume Sacred Heart and McGehee also have 500 students, but they are all girls. Then they get to pull up more middle schoolers than a UHigh school.

I don't know if this is how it all works, but this is how it seems to me.

@cubscoach

For the last round of reclassification Sacred Heart had ~200 students grades 9-12 and McGehee had ~140 students grades 9-12. Those numbers are doubled for classification purposes. McGehee elected to compete up in 3A and Sacred Heart may have--they were right on the borderline of being classified as 3A.
10/08/2014 2:26:08 PM
User
Oh ok, I wasn't sure of the numbers, it was just an example.
Oh ok, I wasn't sure of the numbers, it was just an example.
10/08/2014 5:02:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cubscoach It is the discretion of the school if they want to use the 7th and 8th graders. I know we don't mind using them because we are a 2a school playing up, so the extra enrollment won't matter. We only have about 140-150 girls in 9-12.
@cubscoach

It is the discretion of the school if they want to use the 7th and 8th graders. I know we don't mind using them because we are a 2a school playing up, so the extra enrollment won't matter. We only have about 140-150 girls in 9-12.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.