Koren Leonard edges fellow Oak Park-River Forest senior JT Lowder in the 55HH
Proviso West HS; Hillside IL-
Brrr... rushing indoors for the start of the 2019 track and field season was a welcomed reprise from one of the harshest stretch of winter in recent years. The Chicagoland area was hit by a "Polar Vortex" that saw temperatures plunged to -21 (-50 wind chill)- virtually paralyzing civilization. Schools were canceled for much of the week, but fortunately meets from around the area were allowed to commence.
A complete remake of the Proviso West High School was met with high-grade remarks from fans, athletes, and coaches. It didn't take long before the athletes christened the track and field facility.
- Koren Leonard (Sr., Oak Park-River Forest) begins opens the assault on the competition with IL #1 55HH in 7.60. Later he ran a leg on the 4x200 relay that brought home another big-time winner (1:32.52); closes the door shut taking the 200m in IL #9 23.11
- JT Lowder (Sr., Oak Park-River Forest) was almost as dominating as Leonard- 1st 55m (6.58), anchored winning 4x200; IL#2 55HH (7.65)
- Charlie Nevins (Sr., Chicago Whitney Young) easily wins 3200/1600 combo in 10:06.60/4:46.24
- Javon Venson (Sr., Chicago St. Rita) takes the 400 in 54.18
- Isaiah Tyler (Jr., Maywood Proviso East) leaps to a personal best and IL#2 6'6" in the high jump
- Kyshun Robinson (Jr., Hillside Proviso West) wins the long jump in a personal best 21'3.5"